08 August 2012
A burned-out motor was found to be the cause of a fire at a hotel in Kidderminster earlier this week. Fire fighters were called to the Mercure Hotel at 1.30pm on Monday August 6th where they discovered a blaze in the plant room at the swimming pool. According to the Express and Star newspaper, crews used a jet and a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher to bring the flames under control. Because the pool is located in a separate building away from the main hotel, there was no need to evacuate guests or staff members.
A 'suitable and sufficient' fire risk assessment must be conducted on all commercial properties in England and Wales under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. The Responsible Person can face an unlimited fine or a prison sentence of up to two years if the fire risk assessment is deemed to be carried out to an insufficient extent.