03 August 2012
Flats above a takeaway restaurant in West Yorkshire had to be evacuated on the evening of Thursday August 2nd after a grill in the kitchen caught fire. According to Keighley News, the blaze broke out at Raja's Pizza Bar on Cavendish Street in Keighley town centre and firefighters were called to the scene at around 9.30pm. Crews spent four hours battling the flames and were forced to cut away the floorboards in the upstairs flats to ensure the fire did not spread further. Everyone got out ok.
Smoke spread to the flats above as well as an adjacent building. Initial investigations point to a build-up of grease and fat behind the grill's ventilation canopy as the likely causeof the fire
Under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 a 'suitable and sufficient' fire risk assessment must be conducted on all commercial properties in England and Wales. If the fire risk assessment is deemed to be carried out to an insufficient extent, the Responsible Person can face an unlimited fine or up to two years in prison.