29 May 2012
More than half of all property fires in Cornwall are related to cooking, the fire service has said.
Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said of 290 property fires, 154 started in the kitchen, with a spokesperson saying that "Most cooking fires are the result of food catching on fire after being left for too long on the hob or under the grill." He added that a third of the fires were at houses without a smoke alarm.
The fire service said homeowners, to minimise the risk of a kitchen fire, should have a smoke alarm, never leave cooking unattended and ensure all kitchen appliances were turned off after use. It added that ovens and grill pans should be kept clean as a build up of fat and grease could heat up and catch alight.